Summer Crisis Program
Summer electric assistance available for low-income households
Help is available for eligible Ohioans struggling to cope with the summer heat. The Summer Crisis Program provides eligible customers of regulated utilities a benefit of up to $500, while customers of unregulated utilities may receive a benefit up to $800. These benefits can help pay an electric utility bill, pay towards a central air conditioning repair, and/or go towards the purchase of an air conditioning unit or fans.
To be eligible for assistance, households must have a gross annual income that is at or below 175 percent of the federal income guidelines. In addition to the income guidelines, households must meet at least one of the following additional eligibility requirements:
- A household member is 60 years of age or older;
- A household member has a medical necessity documented by a qualified medical professional;
- A household’s electric utility has a disconnection notice issued, has been shut off, or new electric service is being established for the household. These households may also receive an air conditioning unit and/or fan or central air conditioning repairs if the household can maintain electric service for 30 days.
- Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus (PIPP) clients are eligible for assistance towards their default PIPP payment, first PIPP payment, central air conditioning repairs, or may receive an air conditioning unit and/or fan.
Households may receive the full benefit for bill assistance and also receive an additional benefit (i.e. central air conditioner repair, air conditioner unit, and/or fan) once per cooling season.
To apply for the Summer Crisis Program, consumers need to contact their local Community Action Agency (CAA). The CAA determines the benefits that can be provided. The program is available from July 1 until September 30, 2023.
For additional information on the Summer Crisis Program, and to locate the nearest CAA, contact the Ohio Department of Development (ODOD) at 1-800-282-0880 (TDD 1-800-686-1557) or online at https://development.ohio.gov/individual/energy-assistance/3-summer-cris….
2023 Income Guidelines
175% of Total Gross
* For families/households with more than 8 persons, please contact your local community action agency.
To download: Click the folder with a down arrow icon. To print: Click the printer icon in the top right of the display.
If you need multiple copies for an organization or group, please contact a member of our outreach team.