Skip to main content

The Home Weatherization Assistance Program (HWAP)

Home Weatherization Assistance ProgramMore and more Ohioans are finding it difficult to pay the increasing costs of their electric and natural gas bills. One reason may be that the home has not been properly insulated. Unless a home has proper insulation or other systems in place to efficiently control temperatures, energy use may be higher and result in more expensive monthly bills. The Office of the Ohio Consumers’ Counsel (OCC), your residential utility consumer advocate, offers the following information about the state Home Weatherization Assistance Program (HWAP) for consumers who are income-eligible.

What is HWAP?

The Home Weatherization Assistance Program is a federally-funded energy efficiency program available to income-eligible residential consumers. It is administered by the Ohio Department of Development (ODOD) and helps lower energy bills by properly weatherizing homes so heated or cooled air stays inside. Some of the free services included in the program are:

  • Health and safety testing and inspections;
  • Heating system repairs or replacements;
  • Reduction of air leakage from major sources, such as a chimney or wall;
  • Attic, wall, floor, duct, water tank, and basement insulation; and
  • Personalized energy management plan.

Those approved for the HWAP program will receive a home inspection to determine which weatherization services will be most cost effective. Renters must have landlord approval.

Who is eligible?

Consumers are eligible for the program if they are at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level (see chart). Families who have received assistance in the past 12 months from the following programs are automatically eligible:

  • Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP);
  • Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP Plus);
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI); or
  • Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF).

Priority is given to Ohioans who are older than 60 years of age, those with disabilities, those with children in the home, and those households with high energy usage.

How to apply

To apply for HWAP, consumers should contact their local Community Action Agency. Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) applicants may apply for HWAP by checking the box for weatherization on the online application at

For additional information, or to find your local Community Action Agency, visit or call ODOD at 1-800-282-0880.

2023-2024 Income Guidelines

Size of

200% of Total Gross
Annual Household Income

















* For families/households with more than 8 persons, please contact your local community action agency.



To download: Click the folder with a down arrow icon. To print: Click the printer icon in the top right of the display.

If you need multiple copies for an organization or group, please contact a member of our outreach team.